View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:32 PM
them bones

KUALA LUMPUR | Petronas Towers | 1,483 FT / 452 M | 88 FLOORS | 1998

Controversely being declared the World's Tallest buildings in 1998 were Cesar Pelli's Petronas Towers, a headquarters for the Malaysian state oil company. The buildings were built as economic power symbols as much as for office space. Nonetheless, the buildings are now filled with oil company offices from around the world.

Having seen nearly all of Pelli's major towers in person (Canary Wharf being a notable exception), I have to say that this is his masterwork. The stainless facade and green tinted glass perfectly reflects the jungly nature of KL. The overlaid shapes (circles and squares) form a rythmic facade culminating in a sleek shiny spire. Joining the two towers at the 42nd floor is a bridge which forever gives the buildings an inconic gateway form.

This is another set of towers (like Jin Mao) that I'd never really been impressed with until I saw them in person. They really are quite exceptional.

The mall at the base of the towers is just a mall, nothing too impressive.

I've got lots of pictures...but please share your own and thoughts too!

BTW, this is essentially a similar post to one I did in October of 2006 after my return from Asia. Unfortunately it got pruned somewhere along the way.

Last edited by plinko; Jun 17, 2008 at 11:42 PM.