View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:55 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Yeah. That title is a bit misleading though. At first I just read the title and I was thinking that was a pretty big price spread for an estimate, but after reading the article I'm curious to see how they handle that. I wonder if they'll do a mix and match. I wouldn't mind seeing a few newer street cars, but if the lines will remain the same and aren't extended then I'd rather them simply rehab the existing trolleys, especially if their budget doesn't grow any. I couldn't imagine the upkeep for a modern street car; especially one that runs the current route of the existing trolleys with not much activity.

I guess they really do rely on tourists riding the trolleys because most of the time that I see them there aren't many people one them. Occasionally people downtown would take them to lunch, but I would always walk unless I was going all of the way down to South Main or somewhere.
I've seen some pretty crowded Trolleys on normal weeknights and weekends, and especially when events are happening. I've noticed scheduling has been better too lately, but alas. 1.3 million passengers per year. According to the most recent documents I could find from MATA, ridership on bus routes dipped 8% from 2004-2009 but increased 13% during the same time on the Trolleys. I know we've seen publications since regarding continued increased ridership on the streetcars. Currently it accounts for AT LEAST 9% of MATA's daily ridership, probably more, covering a very limited footprint. I'd say it's worth investing in.

Personally, I think the Main and Riverfront lines should retain "Heritage" streetcars, but I'd like to see modern ones on the Madison line. Part of the problem with the Madison line is the lack of investment that has occurred that typically accompanies a light-rail line, and I think that has to do with it looking and functioning like a clunkering old tourist toy (operating where tourists don't want to go). Making that a modern line with clear timetables should change that image. I think it'd be a good identifier for the Medical Center in particular and help with establishing the identity of the "Innovation District" they want to create there. The whole point of the Madison line was to be a "starter" for an expanded light-rail option, and the use of Heritage streetcars on it was always meant to be temporary. I also think doing that hurt its purpose, image, and functionality.

I'll probably not get what I want, but a kid can dream.