View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 6:42 PM

^ He's right though

as jmt said, the city is good at making excuses about not having money. Winnipeg is the only major city in Manitoba, but there's always a lack of vision here compared to other cities in Canada

The infrastructure in Winnipeg could be so much more than that 3-left turning lanes abomination on Kenaston, or the stupid decisions on Lag; its like the city whines about $$$ issues but then its also cheaper to do it now than it would be in the future when we might actually need it...but most importantly, free flowing traffic is generally safer traffic. As a user pointed out, Calgary has a lower amount of collisions - partly due to their free flowing traffic structure, and also, with that comes better drivers (that actually know how to use interchanges properly and give way etc...)

In the UK, it seems strange to have round-abouts, hell I personally prefer 4 way stop signs, but it keeps traffic going, and in practice actually works very well & is safer in the long term. This is an example of an infrastructure choice. I don't think roundabouts should be adopted here; no, my point is the choice made. Winnipeg could make a choice to go with more overpasses.

Circle drive is a great example. Saskatoon had that infrastructure set up before the city started really booming. They just did it right from the get go. I think a big issue with Winnipeg lies in the road system is just all patchwork in some areas...that to start constructed overpasses and underpasses etc...would just be a huge headache for the city, so rather than go for it and do it, they just let it be since "its working anyways"