View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Some quick bits to report since the proposed development was announced today.

$1.3 Bil Development

Going from my knowledge of the Decatur city limits across the river, the only parcel that is in a good location and a size large enough to handle this kind of development would be the one that Sweetwater still holds the option for.

Don Kyle was the mayor (and has returned as mayor) when Sweetwater was initially being considered. The city had made headway and had agreed to contribute $50 Million in infrastructure (other things included parks, police, fire, and schools). However, two unfortunate things happened... Don Kyle lost reelection to Don Stanford and the economy tanked. Don Stanford, as much as he facilitated regarding development around the US 31 (6th Av)/AL 67 (The Beltline) intersection, as well as with the Decatur Mall improvements, and even some good downtown streetscaping, wasn't able to perpetuate the Sweetwater deal. Anyways, Stanford out, Kyle in.

Sweetwater still holds an option on the land, and has since said (about a year and a half ago) that they plan to build, still, but at a scaled back and outlet format. However, Bass Pro said that they were coming no matter what, but that they were waiting for the economy to improve.

I guess it's conceivable that another developer saw an opportunity in the continued interest from Bass Pro; any project that incorporates a Bass Pro is typically going to be successful (though you do have the unfortunately situation where Prattville was saddled with some debt because of some failed, new urbanism, suburban shopping center).

If you want my humble opinion, I'd say I'm optimistic considering Decatur's recent retail expansion. With gas prices on the rise, and people wanting to live nearer where they shop and work, there's been a need for a regional shopping hub between Huntsville and The Shoals. However, sometimes you do get those pie in the sky deals that never work out because they were too ambitious.

Additionally, there have been a lot of manufacturing expansions (and newcomers) to the Decatur area, which will no doubt lead to a modest increase in population.

I do have confidence in Don Kyle, his last year or so in his first term as mayor was showing a lot of promise and it was unfortunate he lost the election. So, in the end, if this development never gets constructed, I'd say it's probably a bad deal.

I don't have anything new to report about it, but I'll keep an eye and ear out.

I'm interested to see what this turns out to be. I'd hate to see another asphalt coated shopping center.

Mellow Mushroom

The Mellow Mushroom under construction in downtown Decatur is expected to open on March 4th!