View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I was including 3rd and shoal so should have said what is under construction as well. Even 600 Guadalupe will essentially be the same thing when you just look at the office segment. If not for the residential potion, it would be about 30-31 floors.
I forgot about 3rd and Shoal. Good call. It's a really good point of comparison about the ratio of garage to office floors as it relates to building width. While it looks like 300 Colorado has more parking per sq ft of office, it likely has less due to how drastically efficiency drops in garages as they become thinner.

What point are you making about 600 Guad. Do you think that if we fix the core problem, 600 guadalupe would be 100 floors instead of 60-70 because it will add offices?

Quote:
Another point is that there are other cities that have tall office towers that don't have large contiguous floor plates. It's established that most companies prefer as many of their workers as possible on the same floor, but if they can do it in other cities, then I don't see why they can't in Austin.
Do you really know how many buildings in other cities are super tall office towers that are independent developments? By that I mean that they have no business affiliation with any garages that might be on the same lot. I really don't think office space without parking is as common (outside of NYC and maybe Chi) as you seem to think.

I think another factor might be that there seems to be very very few dedicated public garages on the west side of downtown. You can drive through downtown houston, dallas and other cities and see a healthy diet of dedicated big garages and I don't think you have that nearly as much (certainly not in west DT) in Austin.

Quote:
It comes down to our city's horribly outdated zoning rules regarding building highrises. Something that the city council should have tackled years ago.
What specifically do you want changed about high-rise zoning?

Last edited by freerover; Jan 10, 2018 at 8:59 PM.