View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:24 PM

Amen. I’m pointing those issues out. I feel it cannot nor should be done. Considering Atlanta doesn’t have a distinct architectural style it would be impossible. You were more eloquent and expressive in your argument that I failed in making apparently. Everyone gets confrontational over aesthetics, but those issues are subjective to each individual and not quantifiable. Planners have no legal means to deny permits if a building meets requirements such as this hotel. The original would have to have been allowed if the developer told the city they were not willing to make changes.

I served on the Grant Park zoning and review board several years ago. I quit because people always wanted to argue about paint colors and window shapes instead of focusing on what we had the authority to review and comment. I watched a young married couple expecting their first child come before the committee wanting to build a very nice home that completely met requirements. They were sinking all they had into building that home. The young wife ended up having to leave in tears so upset because about 2/3’s of the committee wanted to tell her what color to paint her house and style fence that would “fit the neighborhood appropriately”. That was want happens when you try to address aesthetics. It was complete crap and so sad to watch. The couple ended up selling the lot instead of building a nice 3000 SFt home. When I spoke to them once the house passed committee, they said it was ridiculous the way they were made to feel and they didn’t want neighbors that opinionated and confrontational. I agreed completely and it was not even under our purview. That is exactly why it is impossible to determine aesthetics and can’t be codified into law in a city like Atlanta.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!