View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
places like Derby Line, VT, where the US-canadian border literally runs directly through the town library have always intrigued me.

some people even have their own private houses bisected by the international border.

how does such a wacky situation work? how can the border possibly be secured when it runs right through a town like that?
It wasn't secured. There were a few open streets with signs informing you you were crossing the border. After 9/11 Dubya added gates to them so now you have to pass through the village's main street, where there's a customs booth. The residents can come and go, of course, but there's more border patrol around nowadays.

There are houses in between the customs in other places, as well, such as Canaan VT (there's one building straddling the border) and Beecher Falls VT (where the house between the two customs is fully in Quebec though).

Stanstead is the best example though, with the Haskell Opera bisected, as well as a couple residential buildings on the main street*, plus Canusa Street in Beebe.

edit: actually, looking at Google sat view, there are many more buildings than I recalled that are cut by the border. I'm there regularly, but I rarely venture off my Main Street route (crossing the border in the old village as it's quicker, then going back to the freeway after that).