View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Such as? The only thing they offer you won't find in an urban setting are big box stores. The suburbs offer car dependency for things people in the city can walk to or have much more variety off.
Well, he did say that the suburbs offer most of what most people need. He didn't say that the city didn't offer that too.

I am not sure you necessarily have access to more variety and choices living in the city car-free vs. living in the suburbs with a car. The innermost city is reasonably auto-accessible, and even the inner ring that is fairly dense and urbanized is quite easy to access to by car.

I'm not really that big a fan of driving - especially not in metro areas. Just being logical.

Also, the definition of "needs" is totally skewed these days. But the suburbs of any major Canadian city offer almost anything that one could qualify as a true "need". And by this I am not just talking about eating fast food all the time and dressing in muscle shirts and flip flops.

I might also add that a lot of Canadian inner city dwellers I know (in fact, most of them) occasionally complain loudly about having to go to the suburbs for certain things now. Now, this might be a sign of a failing in terms of how we build cities, but it also is a sign that people's views on the nothingness of the suburbs are tainted by their biases.