View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That 633 S LaSalle building may be a student housing proposal. The single large terrace on every floor has a kind of student lounge feel to it.

It would also explain the lack of parking and the willingness to build on (formerly undesirable) LaSalle St.

Columbia just sold the Lakeside Press dorm containing 343 beds, to be deconverted into only 96 apartments. Those units probably to be replaced somewhere, unless Columbia's enrollment is dropping steeply.
The large building on the books for the Palmer Printing property on Clark will add about 300 student-style units. How many do we need?

I also note that that street has a ton of noise pollution from the Metra Trains that park there running their engines and beeping and clanking away. It really isn't a very desirable location for many reasons.

The parking lot on Clark/Harrison has many troubles. As a close enough resident we went through an objection to the addition of billboards that needed a variance. Part of the owner's rationale was that he needed the extra income to stay afloat, which defied logic. He'd just failed to seal the deal with the developer to buy it from him. Amazing.

I've never been sure who owns the area used for parking on the West side of LaSalle. Hunter parking operates the spaces under the stacks, I've always assumed under a contract with Metra, and I *think the street spaces may also be part of that, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd think that if they could be developed into something other that parking Metra (if they own it) could possibly earn more money for it. Actually, I'd go a bit further. Get rid of all that parking entirely, open it up and turn it into a market. When all the buildings come online I'd think the area could support it.