View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2011, 2:44 AM
tilted & shifted

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?

My gear is as follows: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 L, Canon 35mm f/2, Canon 50mm f/1.4, and Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS. I'm in the process of selling my 70-200 zoom and replacing it with the Canon 135mm f/2 L. These days, I'm much more into prime lenses. I feel like they make me more inspired and creative. That's not to say you can't be creative with zooms, I just feel like primes are more congruous with how I compose photos. As for what I'd like to shoot with, I have some obvious focal length gaps to fill. I eventually want the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L and the Canon 85mm f/1.2 L.

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?

I can't really sum it up in one photo. I have two somewhat divergent styles. On the one hand, I like big, epic night skyline photos. On the other, I take moodier, more thoughtful black and white shots.

Talk about your inspirations and influences.

This takes me way back to around 2004 when I first joined Skyscrapercity. That's where my love for urban photography really developed. I didn't have a camera yet. But I remember my main influences were swivel (ninjatune here at SSC), goonsta, and flash. These three people blew my mind over and over again. When I first joined SSP shortly after joining SSC, giallo was one photographer who really stood out to me. I also draw inspiration from a lot of photographers here at SSP--too many to list.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.

I'm not sure which one. I think most have done pretty well. People say really kind things about my work. I definitely appreciate their feedback.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.

My 2005-2006ish threads before I had a SLR. There were some that got fewer than 20 responses.

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?

Don't try to take photos like someone else. Take inspiration from them and be influenced by what they do, but be yourself. Make a style for yourself. Like Miles Davis said: "It takes a long time to sound like yourself." The journey and end result are worth the tribulations.

Who should we ask these questions of next?

diskojoe

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Jun 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM.