View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:50 AM
Registered

It looks ok... conceptually a lot stronger than the actual execution. I'm with the others that the height just isn't enough to "cap" the vista as it should be... add another 20 or so stories, and I'd be a lot happier as far as the urban design.

Another big concern is that the curvature looks much less pronounced when you look at the real model as opposed to the render.

The park plan looks awesome and I love the integration of public amenities into the skyscraper's base. That's how all of these riverfront buildings (and all major buildings, IMO) should be built: If Chicago really is a skyscraper city, we need to activate these buildings as a part of the city beyond just some retail or public plaza. Let the public benefit from the building.

There is a lovely little Prairie School, train-related building there that I had hoped would somehow survive this project, but it would be worth the sacrifice for the great public plaza they are planning. I think that is my favorite part of this proposal at the moment. Much more exciting than 300 LaSalle.

By the way, if you use 300 LaSalle's floor-to-floor height as a benchmark (I am using 57 floors because I still doubt it's really 60 stories), then you get 687' for this one.