View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:50 PM

Thanks Vellu, Love Brutalism, may have to make another building in that style.

Low Poly Modelling

One of the biggest headaches with modelling these kinds of projects is the lag. The main city model now lags horrendously and with the vehicles
activated virtually grinds to a halt. I gave up modelling in the main city model along time ago because of this reason. I now model individual
buildings and blocks and then import them into the big model for rendering, but even with moving the render view camera in the big model its
taking forever.

My main concern at present is either the whole model fails to load due to its size, or crashes on load when being moved, rendered etc.
It has happened before with previous work. So for the most part the blocks further out from the central area will be much less detailed.
I am going for low poly modelling with textures rather than individual window recessed buildings. There will still be detailed buildings here
and there, but I'm hoping to achieve a detailed look with minimal polygons. The other reason to go down the all out texture route is the
labour intensive factor in making such detailed buildings. Its taking forever! I am actually incredibly impatient when it comes to modelling
in 3D I like to have things immediately rather than wait for 2 years, so hopefully the city will speed up somewhat in the months to come.

Here's a view of Somerset and 7th showing the greyscale illumination channel for this view, clearly showing the simplfied polygon approach
with the resulting render below with textures.