View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Off topic, but I don't agree with this. Midtown is pretty much agreed upon on the North (59th) East (River) and West (Hudson), I can see some debate about it's south boundary, but that is it.

Murray Hill is Midtown, Hell's Kitchen is Midtown. A large portion of the East Side is brown stones/row homes, and low/mid rise buildings. Midtown is much more than Times Square/Rock Center/Herald Square, and I assume even Chicago Forumers are aware of that.
We are saying the same things except for your part "I assume even Chicago Forumers are aware of that." You just misinterpreted the rest of what I said completely if you are thinking I wasn't saying that place like Murray Hill isn't midtown. My point was that most people who aren't familiar with NYC and the labeling only think midtown is the big skyscraper part instead of all the areas around it such as Kips Bay, Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen, etc.

I'd guess that some Chicago forumers are aware of the fact that Midtown is a lot more the skyscrapers, but I'd also wager that some would not be aware of that.

Quote:
I also don't see many similarities between River North and Midtown. I've given up hope on any low rise pre war building in River North, they all have a date with the wrecking ball. I just wish we could get something good in their place, though I've also given up all hope of getting anything other than a lame glass box or an ugly precast tower. Oh Well...

Hopefully this isn't a response to mine since I never said anything of the sort. River North isn't that similar to anywhere in Midtown except a few buildings here and there but nothing on a big scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Yes I lived in NY for almost a decade, and I worked in Midtown. Lots of rowhouses still exists between Lexington and 7th, not just on the fringes. Look at practically the entire south side of 56th between 5th and 6th, for example.
Yes, agreed - there are many lower rise buildings mixed in here and there. The ones on the streets IMO are safer than the ones on the avenues. I've definitely seen some in my now 2.5+ years of working in NYC bite the dust for larger developments. They have better preservation of these low rise gems than in similar areas of Chicago easily.

The low rise architecture is actually my favorite part about NYC, not the high rises. One of my favorites:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7459...8i6656!6m1!1e1