View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Abandoned Ottawa-Gatineau

I wonder if there is an appetite here for a thread on abandoned properties in the urban core? There aren’t that many in this area compared to other cities, but you still find them here and there. Now, I am not talking about buildings that are “in transition” awaiting a new life, but vacant places where nothing appears to be in the cards.

Here are some I have spotted recently:

Sandy Hill

- The old Cajun Attic restaurant on Rideau near Charlotte and Wurtemburg

Lower Town

- A few largish four or five storey buildings on the north side of Murray, going east from Cumberland towards King Edward, not too far from the Shepherds of Good Hope. Some of the windows actually have no boards and you can just see a Bronx-like open shell

Bronson and Queensway area

- I think there is a small grocery store that has been abandoned for some time on the east side of Bronson just north of the Queensway between Catherine and Gladstone. I may be wrong but I think it may have once been called the Olympia or Olympic Food Market

Vieux-Hull / île de Hull

- There is a largish boarded up house on St-Rédempteur going north about one street in from the boulevard des Allumettières

- There is also a three or four storey building that is completely abandoned that you can see on your right from Eddy going north. I think it’s on Papineau, Garneau or Charlevoix.