View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:28 PM

I'm still pretty young at 29, but I can remember back to the early 90's when Bayers Rd, West End Mall, Downsview, and Penhorn were all indoor malls. I'm too young to have ever been in the Lighthouse Tavern, but I distinctly remember the painting of the blonde, nearly naked chick that was on the exterior wall. I would walk from St. Francis school to Barrington to take the 9 home just so I could look at it. I was 11 so I had that sort of child like, pre-pubescent fascination with it.

I can remember when Lacewood, Radcliffe, Langbrae and Farnham Gate just abruptly ended. I thought it was the weirdest thing, especially Lacewood, which had the painted lines right up to the barrier just past Caxton Close. This was the small window in the early 90's when Lacewood Terminal was appropriately sized.

I remember when the DMV was on Young St, and Kempt Rd continued as a one-way ramp on to Robie before the Esso and Tims were built.

I'm fortunate to have been in the North End tavern before it burned down. They had 2-for-1 steaks on Saturday night my wife and I would go there for steaks and beer, among the best steak I've ever had.

The Pizza Hut on Young when it was a full dine-in restaurant with dessert bar.

When the rail spur that ran along Kempt Rd was an active rail line, and waiting at the Lady Hammond Rd crossing for trains to pass.

When the Joe Howe ramp to/from the 102 ended at Dutch Village Rd, and the Keddy's Hotel at the start of the Bay Rd.

Some transit related memories:

The tiny old DSC terminal, soon to be replaced by the only slightly less tiny Bridge Terminal.

When the Classic 4-cylinder Turbo buses first arrived (967-974 and later 975-985). They had elementary school artwork on them for the first bit, and I thought they were so cool. They're nearly on the way out now, but I am fortunate to have been able to drive them.

The tiny GMC fishbowl buses, that always used to be on the 7 in the mornings.

That super-small terminal at Mic Mac Mall that buses had to zig zag through the parking lot just to get to.

The old (and superior) Mumford Terminal outside of West End Mall.