View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:11 PM

I'm not from New York, so I you all are free to build whatever you want, but I just have to say this.

I'm really not a big fan of the deconstructivist "shards of metal and glass" school of architecture. Sure, it's eye popping but it's designed with the express intent of assaulting the senses with unnatural and mind bending shapes and forms. Is that really what we want?

I'd be willing to accept deconstructivism as a part of a large development such as Atlantic Yards, but having the whole enormous bajillion acre complex (well, 22 acre, but in NY that basically amounts to a bajillion acres) be nothing but a giant monument to a starchitect's ego seems to be a mistake... to me, the renderings and models really are jarring.

It seems to me that the purpose of deconstructivism is to shatter and tear down peoples' preconceived notions of what buildings should look like. It doesn't try to be anything in its own right. Deconstructivism does not exist to 'create' a new style, it exists to 'destroy' existing aesthetic paradigms. It just aims to slap people across the face and say "You thought you knew what a building looks like... ha!"

I acknowledge that there is a place for this sort of radical defiant design, just as there is a place for radical defiant art but I question whether letting one starchitect do this to an entire enormous complex is wise or not.

Anyway, enough of that rant, I'm ready to be flamed for being parochial/ignorant/stupid/whatever