View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:55 PM

as a native of this area i have to say that this proposal is no less of a problem than Lents was. my thoughts:
  1. traffic: anyone who regularly drives in Beaverton can tell you that getting to this location from 217 or 26 on or around 5pm on a weekday is a nightmare. not so much fun at other times, either. and believe me, people ARE going to drive to the games.
  2. big league baseball: fantasize about MLB? kiss that notion goodbye. can you imagine 30k or so humans trying to get in or out of this location? utter mayhem.
  3. adaptability: conversely, this site looks extremely constrained for AAA anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
  4. political will: you think after Beaverton and Paulson put big $$$ into a ballpark that they're going to sit back and watch MLB crush their revenue stream? you think taxpayers in Portland will vote for funding a new expensive stadium when one was built 5/10/20 years ago in the burbs?

wherever the new AAA stadium is built it will need, at a minimum, easy access to rail, freeway(s), parking and, probably most importantly, the ability to be modified for the big show. anything else is throwing money down the crapper.

urbanlife: if you feel like it, i would love to see this cut and paste stadium placed on the open area adjacent to I5 at PIR. the site i've talked about before straddles N Broadacre Rd. right near the PIR max stop. it's a grassy area that's used for overflow parking for the better attended races, to the best of my knowledge. great freeway and transit access. lots of space for parking that can be shared with PIR.