View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 1:39 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Magnetic Hill Zoo has plans for a $1.1M expansion to create a new Asian habitat. The largest expense will be for a new display area for amur tigers and leopards from Siberia. This will mark the return of tigers to the zoo, which have been absent since the death of "Tomar" in 2007.

I have been continually impressed at the ongoing rejuvenation and expansion of the zoo, which has been progressive since the mid 1990s. They tend to choose a single exhibit each year and renovate or replace it. Over the last 5-6 years, they have started to display the animals on a geographic rather than a taxonomic basis. This makes sense.

I like what they're doing, and every time I go back to the zoo, there is always something new to see. The changes have no doubt had a positive effect on attendance. The zoo apparently is the second most popular (paid attendance) attraction in NB, superceded only by the Hopewell Rocks.

The zoo is considered the fourth best in the country, and last year, the Magnetic Hill Zoo received three out of the six major awards at the CAZA annual meeting - the first time a single zoo has done this.

We are lucky to have this facility in the province.
Thats great news! I agree...I am always blown away every time I visit...such a jewel for Moncton and NB in general.