View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 5:36 AM

So yes it is fine that you hold that opinion. In MY opinion, that is not true. Phil agrees. He gave his reasons on why it isn't true, and that your reasoning was faulty (the greatest concentrated massive skyline, bar none). Your "other" and true reasoning about architectural gamut and historical diversity wasn't stated when you made your first comment. If you're thinking all of this is irrelevant because "it's an opinion!", then let me explain how I view opinion threads:

We make opinion threads so we can hear what people in the community has to say about certain things. In this case, what others consider their favorite skylines.

However, it isn't a "post 5 cities and leave" topic. Is that really how you think opinions work?

If you have an opinion (and boy you have a controversial one) and you choose to share it, don't be surprised that people will ask you questions about your choices. Do you think that forums are just here for us to say "Oh nice list. Here's mine," without discussion, or "I like these," without explanations, or how about "Only these two count as skylines of value", without any response or discussion? Please, that would be a failure of a forum.

Why else would we care what others think? If there's disagreement between people's opinions, then it's a topic for discussion and that is where the forum gets interesting. Of course we ALL KNOW that opinions are like assholes and everyone has one. That doesn't mean we can't talk about the reasons behind an opinion.
Yes, opinions CAN be supported with reasoning. Sometimes that reasoning is faulty or biased. Sometimes that reasoning can clarify others misconceptions and help them understand better the concepts at hand. Sometimes it's educational to hear the reasons someone else prefers this over that.

If things worked your way, then everyone would just post a 1-5 list of their favorite skylines and that's that. Really now? I guess if you stopped caring about these forums then that wouldn't really surprise me. But considering that you're reply to me, I would say you still care just a *little* bit

Question that I have for you: how is it that BOTH New York and Chicago are "often imitated, never duplicated"? In what way are other cities imitating NY AND Chicago?