View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

Interesting and thought provoking article - I agree with some parts of it but others I think are a bit too simplistic an approach to a nuanced issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

"Rape is a crime. But trying to pick up someone, however persistently or clumsily, is not — nor is gallantry an attack of machismo."

Examining this in particular, which I agree with 100% at face value (who hasn't tried to pick someone up at a bar?). But how exactly do we define "persistent"? If someone is told to fuck off repeatedly when trying to hang out with friends at a bar, is it still ok to keep asking? I know many, many people who have been in that situation. What about when someone decides to try and follow you home from the bar? Again, I know people who have been there and been extremely afraid for their safety. You could make an argument that the last one crosses the legal boundary, but in reality nothing is likely to happen if you call the police.

I would hope a reasonable approach is taking an emphatic "No" at face value. People should also take into account context and cues, which is also an intrinsic part of human nature. But I know some are not willing to do that.