View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:26 PM

Miami has a tunnel now
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/0...mi-tunnel.html

Quote:
The opening marks the end of repeated delays for the $1 billion under-the-bay tunnel. Engineers had to deal with last-minute flaws including rattling exhaust jet fans and a leaky drainage pipe.

“It’s a great day,” said Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Giménez shortly after the motorcade emerged from the eastbound lanes of the tunnel.

“It was a little bit delayed, but, you know, they had to do things right,” he said. “We had to make sure that the ventilation system was working. There was a leak in the tunnel, but I’m very happy that this tunnel is now open.”

Although the tunnel is open to all traffic, the main goal is to encourage as many cargo truck drivers as possible to go under the bay to relieve traffic on the surface streets downtown, the mayor said.

Cargo trucks contribute to congestion as they meander through downtown to get to the seaport from area expressways. Now that the tunnel is open, trucks can avoid downtown and drive directly to the port from Interstate 95 and State Road 836.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDuskPhotograph View Post