View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 7:51 PM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
We've had plenty of blimps, sometimes more than one at a time during big convention weeks, and including one that used to sell rides. Now the only one is the M Resort blimp that's been cruising around lately with some big light display on it.

The catalyst that will start the diversification of the Vegas economy is Union Park downtown, but unless the credit markets thaw out it won't get built any time soon.
Not to be a stickler, but blimps and airships are not the same thing. Anyway, it was just an idea that has found success in th Bay Area, and could work in Vegas as well. The natural beauty of the desert landscape, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead, the Grand Canyon and of course The Strip--would all be attractive from a slow moving, quiet aircraft. As a visitor, I would certainly forgo a night of over-priced Strip hotels/meals for a 2 hour ride around the Valley.
From the earlier link I posted:
Quote:
While externally Zeppelins and blimps look quite alike, and its not uncommon to hear people talking about Zeppelins when they mean blimps - there is, however, a significant difference.
Today’s Zeppelins have a light, rigid metal and carbon fiber framework that is covered with a synthetic canvas hull, inside of which is the lifting gas. This framework allows the engines to be located where they operate most efficiently – on the sides of the hull and at the tail end of the airship, far from the gondola – providing a quiet, vibration-free ride.
A blimp does not have an internal rigid frame. They maintain their shape due to the internal pressure of the lifting gas. Because there is no framework above the gondola, the engines have to be mounted directly to the sides of passenger cabin
I don't disagree about Union Park--but you may be waiting around a decade or more for it to come fully into fruition.