View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2009, 8:15 PM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1899 View Post
Your first couple look to be more appropriate for Chicago, New York, or Shanghai.

Make sure your designs have the right proportions. Look at the building that just went up at Gessner and I-10 here in Houston...that crown ought to be on something that's close to 1000' tall. Look at Frost Bank in Austin...that building looks like it was meant to be 750' tall and about 25 stories were knocked out...it looks squatty.

Ft. Worth, in my opinion, is a little different than most cities in that building tall isn't necessarily the objective, but rather instead the objective is building to compliment the existing structures. Someone about 10 years ago (or less) built a new building that was maybe 10 stories tall. If you walk through dowtown FW you might not know it's 10 years old.

I guess what I'm getting at is buildings in downtown Ft. Worth don't make statements; they compliment. Buildings in downtown Houston (or Dallas, to a lesser extent) are built in part to make statements.

Keep up the good work! I would encourage you to have a second portfolio (the first being projects from design studios) of sketches you've made, proposals, etc. If you haven't already, join AIA, ULI, and make as many contacts as possible, regardless of where the architect, developer, etc. lives/works.
I did want the towers to complement the existing buildings, but be tall and have an impact on the skyline at the same time. So I didn't make most of them look ultra modern. Most of the buildings I'm making have and will have a look used from older styles of architecture to sort of blend in with the buildings around them (the Block TU and American Airlines Building are the exceptions... especially the AAB since it would be in Sundance Square).
As of right now, I'm workin on possibilities for 20 story+ buildings right now, but I also have plans to work on smaller, 20 story and less buildings after this....

This is what remains (if I don't think of anything else) for this thread.

-New Burnett Plaza
-remake of XTO
-Coversion of the Burnett Plaza
-Firestone Building
-Fill-in of parking lot behind Burnett Plaza garage and south of the building
-FW Pyramid
-Twin Residential Towers
-Sony Tower

And thanks for the encouragement. That's what I'm in school for...