View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 4:48 PM

I keep flip flopping on the stadium location; I have two preferences. But I have to keep reminding myself; this is the city's first stadium. 20 years from now, there may be more than one...

Shannon is an difficult cookie to chew on. The feds haven't offered up the land and no one knows if they will. I have a feeling they won't, since Canada Lands has been silent through this process. If that's the case, we can dream about it being there all we want...it won't happen.

Fenwick's graphic does make a good point that the wind issues can be fixed by adding development of a certain height at strategic locations to reduce the impact of wind and fog. I felt that the CG design really didn't think about using the site as a mix of uses and just focused on the stadium. They could've had a really nice mixed use community on the shoreline edge to create a boardwalk - thus creating a mechanism to reduce the impact of wind and fog (make the buildings taller or orient them in such a way to reduce wind).

I was doing some sketching last night (to take my mind off the air canada strike, since I'm 'flying' to Halifax on Friday with AC - hopefully) and I did a preliminary zoning and road sketch of what I was talking about for putting more restaurants close by. Yes, there are a few 'across the street' - but that's a big road to cross. A ped bridge would be necessary and people aren't likely going to walk there and back to the stadium if the route isn't too friendly. Which is why I was thinking that adjacent to the stadium site you could put up a couple restaurants, in addition to the sea of parking that will likely occur.