View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
Yes, the days of the E120 plying U.S. routes are numbered..what's most unfortunate is that there isn't a true replacement aircraft in the 30-37 seat turboprop category.

For those in Boise, perhaps you saw the Boeing 787 cruising overhead this afternoon. It paid us an unexpected, but most welcome, visit! What an amazingly cool looking plane.
I agree that it's a shame there's no replacement 30 seater turboprop for the E-120. The Q400 and new ATRs actually aren't bad replacements considering that the operating costs aren't a great deal higher than the E-120, and you have about 40 extra seats you can sell, which is why Horizon replaced the Q200 with them. But an advanced 30-37 seater turboprop with modern engines and a newer, more fuel-efficient design would be even better.

I think whenever the economy really picks up again, there'll be enough demand for Alaska/Horizon to restart twice-daily service to Idaho Falls and perhaps a second daily Lewiston flight. If we see a boom in air travel like we saw in 2005-2007 again, the potential is there for even more than that.

Sadly I missed the 787.