View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:56 AM

jaypiddy

June 12, 2009 - 12:00 AM
Flag this as Inappropriate

As of July 2008 only 69% of Canadians aged 16 to 60 currently own a cell phone, compared to 90% in the United States and 97% in the United Kingdom.

A Rooney

June 11, 2009 - 11:47 PM

Yet another reason why your car is the better option. Poorer bus services aren't going to attract riders.

Bernito

June 11, 2009 - 11:30 PM

why don't people take the bus the old fashioned way, go to the bus stop, wait for the bus ! it don't matter what that tube says, the bus won't be on time

vancouverite155

June 11, 2009 - 11:13 PM

Great, just another way to get us hooked on these electronic gadgets. I use the info tubes everyday. What about all the elderly people who've never used a cell phone in their life? Please rethink your decision, Translink!

old rider

June 11, 2009 - 10:37 PM

I just thought phasing out printed bus schedules will not encourage people to take the public transportation. Yes, translink reduce the cost of printing and keeping update of that. But translink lose some people who probably think it is not conveneient to take the bus ride without the bus schedule info tubes. The bus is to serve for the public. Now translink goes the wrong road. Will translink think most riders are all students in young age using the cellphone all the time? I am not young and do not know also are not willing to use the text message.

wh

June 11, 2009 - 10:32 PM

I don't know the statistics but not everyone has a cell phone. I can appreciate that not every schedule can be updated every time a change is made, however some broad information shoud be avallable and the tubes left on on routes with minimal changes. They have removed the tubes from some stops in North Delta where the schedule has been pretty constant for years. Cell phones are an additional expense for many people and some people who have them have limited amounts of time to talk and do not text message. I wonder what the cost in infrastructure to set up this system was and the ongoing costs. I can guess it wasn't cheap. Compared to the cost of updating schedules and the lack of information for people who can't afford a phone or aren't comfortable with using this type of technology. I like to think public transport information is easily accessible to all and I'm not sure this makes it so.