View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 11:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
one of the factors that I believe have plagued soccer teams in Calgary has been the lack of a suitable playing venue. As I have said before, Calgarian's are fickle especially when it comes to weather. There is not desire to sit outside in the wind, rain or snow for soccer or even baseball games. I strongly believe that professional soccer could be successful in Calgary if we had a proper stadium that with a proper playing surface . The Storm failed in part because bleachers and port-a-potties don't cut it and the Mustangs failed because Astro turf ruins the game.
Agreed 100%. It's also why I see baseball never doing well here. Although I don't think it's that Calgarians are fickle - it's that our bloody weather is fickle. The only outdoor sport that remotely works here is Football, and that's because people are used to Football being played in the snow half the time (hyperbole).

When it can snow literally any month of the year, and the evenings go down to the single digits - not many people are gonna sit outside to watch a "summer" sport. Especially when it is 25 when the game starts. We tried baseball for a couple of years here but it got almost impossible to dress for without bringing a freaking suitcase.

Lacrosse is kinda working, because we play in an indoor league. I bet it would also fail if played outdoors during the "summer".