View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2013, 5:39 PM
The New Republic

More Dalhousie University:

To the left is this barricade. It looks suspiciously like remnants of a former Georgian building. You can easily spot where one of the windows once was. It showed foresight that they kept this important marker and recognized the importance of historical consideration.

This is the Chemistry building.

Here's another shot of the Chemistry building a little further up. Dalhousie University certainly impresses architecturally. University buildings and campuses historically have been designed to stimulate the mind. Dalhousie provides this in spades.

I continue on towards the Arts and Administration building. I'll refer to it as that since I can't get used to that new name, Henry Hicks. I could have spent all day lying on that lawn reading and contemplating, but I had many photos still to take and the sun was beginning to sit low in the sky.

The MacDonald Library, my favourite building on campus. Unfortunately, I never had reason to spend time in here when I was a student. At night the rooms inside would be lit and I remember walking by many evenings admiring the beauty of its interior. It's a charming place to curl up with an old book on a crisp Nova Scotian autumn.

On the lawn in front of the MacDonald library sits this plaque. Those lands described were eventually lost to the USA and are in present day Maine.

Opposite the MacDonald library is the University Club. The building opened in January, 1922. It had a student common room, lecture rooms, faculty offices, a Great Hall, and an office for the school newspaper called the Gazette. Dalhousie's campus newspaper was founded in 1868, making it the oldest student newspaper in Canada and one of the oldest continuously-running student newspapers in America.

University Club was occupied by Arts until 1952. The Law School called the University Club home from then until it moved to its new building in 1967. Today the University Club is still the base of the Faculty Club; the Earl of Dalhousie Pub is in the basement, meeting rooms are on the first floor, and the Great Hall on the second floor is used for university and membership special events.

MacDonald library on the right, the Arts and Administration building on the left.

The Arts and Administration building.

The building is shaped like a "U". Each wing is identical. Here's one wing.

The back end of the same building.

Another shot. The A&A building on the left, the MacDonald library in the distance.

Looking back towards University Avenue from the steps of the A&A building.

The Dalhousie crest perched on top of the clock tower. Dal is a very serious school. Among universities in America, only Harvard, Yale, Princeton, McGill and the University of Toronto boast more Rhodes Scholars than Dalhousie.

A glimpse of Studley Field can be seen between the A&A building and the University Club.

JOIN ME LATER AS I CONTINUE ON MY JOURNEY TO STUDLEY FIELD, THE UNIVERSITY OF KING'S COLLEGE, AND BACK TO DOWNTOWN HALIFAX!!