View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:48 AM
Meh

I like the original design better also. I'm just a sucker for architectural variety. It's the reason why I stick up for Austin's old boxes. They're an example of architecture from those eras. When I realize and think of the fact that we have few examples of architecture from say the 1930s and wish we had more of them, then I wonder if many more years from now people may look back and wish we had more examples of architecture from the 60s and 70s. While those decades weren't exactly decades with a beautiful style of architecture, they are a historical representation of that era. When I see buildings like the Exxon-Mobil Building in Houston or Dallas' Elm Place, it's neat to think those buildings were being constructed 50 years ago. In Dallas' case Elm Place is especially important since it was under construction the year that JFK was shot in Dallas.

As for the new design, I actually like it a lot. I sort of think the design by Kirksey would have aged better than the one they went with, but this one has a more sleek look to it. I guess the Kirksey design wasn't chosen because it was so close to the original design.