View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:24 PM
BANNED

New topic. I dont think it goes in transportation because its tourism related.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/2657724...-heliport.html

Zoning Committee approves Bridgeport heliport

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter View Gallery Updated: April 1, 2014 10:01PM

A tour company’s $12.5 million plan to build a heliport on the south branch of the Chicago River was cleared for takeoff Tuesday, but not before an influential alderman waved the red flag about helicopter safety.

The plan calls for construction of 14 launching pads, a 17,500-square-foot hangar, terminal with rooftop observation deck, water taxi dock and aircraft fueling station.

Heffernan once again insisted that his helicopter tours would have “zero impact” on noise in a community that’s plenty loud already because of CTA buses, the Orange Line and traffic on the Stevenson and Dan Ryan expressways.

He promised to use what he called “the quietest helicopter on the market,” build sound barrier walls and follow a flight path toward Lake Michigan high above the Stevenson.

Heffernan replied, “$119 for an 18-minute tour. Put that in perspective. New York for eleven minutes, it’s $185. Las Vegas for about eleven minutes, it’s $110. So, our permanent cost…will be the best in the country. The way we’re able to achieve that is by owning the land, owning the facility and owning the helicopters themselves. Trimming a lot of that out of the cost should you be operating out of an airport allows us to offer the lowest price point possible.”

Heffernan said his goal is to draw tourists to Bridgeport and keep them there for a 90-minute "experience" that includes local restaurants, shops and art galleries.

“When they leave, the idea is that their experience was not, `I went on a helicopter ride.’ It’s, `I had dinner. I ate lunch at this great place. I hung out on the riverfront. I got to take a riverboat ride. And we went on a helicopter tour,' " Heffernan said.