View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Yeah but the gondola's also a unique experience. Hopefully it gives tourists the same thrill I get to experience when driving on LSD.

Also - the opera thing is not a gimmick, it's genius. And very low-cost. Maybe $100,000-200,000 for a high-end projector and a sound system. Of course, it requires cooperation from Sam Zell because all the spectators have to sit in Riverside Plaza. Probably that's why this hasn't moved forward, because Zell still wants to mutilate a beautiful Art Deco plaza with a sliver tower above.
i mean i dont hate this idea, and its admittedly a low cost enhancement with little downside. i dont see it enhancing tourism necessarily though. and yea, without a place to actually sit and enjoy it, i dont see how it could work. the notion that everyone is just going to rent kayaks and then dodge river traffic while leisurely soaking in Aida is a little overly optimistic. sound quality will inevitably be poor, and i assume the projection will only be visible at night (will it even be safe having kayak traffic at that hour? i get the notion rentals are daylight only)