View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:50 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'm not naive. I understand the nature of business. That it's cut-throat at times, that there are no friends in business and all those other cliches. But what irks me is that the Jays never looked to work with the Expos. They never saw the common good of keeping baseball alive in Montreal. All they seemed to see was the advantage of Montreal disappearing from the Canadian baseball map. And that's a shame for a team that exists only because baseball was a success in Montreal in the first place.
Montreal opened the door for Toronto to become not just a contender but a frontrunner for an expansion team however, it's a bit much to say the Jays exist only because of the Expos. It's about the same as saying Toronto owes its current economic position to the FLQ, etc.

What common good? A rivalry? The Jays marketed the hell out of it once interleague play start in 1997. It was 3 years to late for the Expos. The strike in 1994 was the beginning of the end. Only a string of World Series victories would have saved the Expos as they limped on for another ten years.