View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 1:22 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
The national perception is that Austin is viewed as a college and Longhorn city, even though probably half (or more) that attend a UT football game are from outside the Austin metro area. Most of the people that I know here have no connection whatsoever to the university, but the perception is much different.
Exactly the point. The vast majority of people living in the Austin market did not grow up here, or attend U.T. They are not Longhorn fans. These people may love to watch sports, but do not have any other option except minor-league teams. Many people simply will not attend such events, as the quality, stature, etc. is deemed subpar. Perceptions will and are changing, and UT will not prevent the Austin market from getting a major-league franchise, whether that be football, baseball, basketball, or hockey. I believe we will see a franchise move here in my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
Triple A teams have not been "upgraded" to MLB, it is not the English Premier League.
His point was that usually a market with an already successful Triple-A team is where Major League Baseball will expand. The Austin market fits that description with the Round Rock Express. You also have a situation where the ownership group certainly would have the finances to purchase an existing MLB team and move it here. I'm not saying that it will ever happen, and certainly not anytime particularly soon. However, I believe in the next fifteen or twenty years it is a reasonable possibility.