Thread: Vertical Farms
View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 9:11 PM
The Drifter

There are other ways to increase food production than building up. We could reduce our consumption of meats and alcohol. I live close to a Budweiser plant and know thousands of acres goes to producing beer. To me I find that use a huge waste and could easily be used to produce more food.

But enough of my rant on over use of crop to create alcohol I will say a reduction on meats would reduce carbon emissions as well open up some land to crops. Yes some of the land that's used for animals is not always the best for crop growing and isn't an issue. But do we really need to eat a pound of meat 1-2 meals a day. I am not vegan nor am I a vegetarian, I enjoy a good steak every now and then and anything pig is wonderful. I just see eating meat is something that should be done sparingly.

Though I do love the idea of a vertical farm and would love to see them work out to offset the dependency large cities have to farms hundreds of miles away. It would also be good to learn as a species to find other ways to reduce waste, as in how we use the land we have to grow more or allow it to become natural once again.