View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:10 AM

Well what will it look like? I remember some older renderings from last year is that still valid?

After digging around for more $ info this arena deal is typical for others in North America. It is bad for the taxpayer and there is no guarantee for an NHL franchise, or the Winter Olympics. Quebecor could easily just be handed an Arena to suck money out of via events and concerts. They will be paying 2.5 million to run this thing, with 33 million for the name rights. They could easily end-up balking at bring in a NHL team which would in fact demand a cut of Arena revenues. Mind you I don't believe that is 100% the case but from a business standpoint the current deal does not give an incentive for Qubecor to actively pursue a team to put in the facility. Taxpayers will be on the hook for about $25 million per year.

We all know that Winnipeg pretty much followed the same lead of building a facility and waiting in the dark for a Sun-Belt team to go belly up. They still had an AHL team though bringing in some coin while they waited, this arena won't have a core tenant at all.

Lessons for use to learn is that I feel roughly the same contribution number would be on the table for us to eat up yearly to fund a football facility for the riders. Roughly $25-30 million per year. You can also probably squeeze 20-30 million (total) in naming fees and PSL/Suites combined. Some many think this is a low number but Quebec is hedging numbers in line with NHL realities versus the CFL with much lower revenue streams/potential.

It will be good to keep an eye on this one as its the largest public Stadium/Arena project we have seen thus far. The Edmonton rink will most likely get more private cash pumped into it I assume, but this one is pretty much 90% public cash.