View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 5:27 AM
Mac User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossboss85 View Post
Great thread, Entheosfog! Can't wait to drive up from Portland next month--I can't believe it's taken me this long since moving to the Pacific Northwest.

By the way, what would be a good neighborhood to stay in for a bunch of mid-twenties-ish people? Not clubs and bars, but maybe some nice places to people watch, walk around, have a pint... What part of the city is Chinatown in? ...besides the *whole* city (I think I saw Chinese writing on that election sign!).
Yaletown has a lot of nice bars and restaurants it is a nice place to people watch, but it can be an expensive place. Gastown is really nice too, it has the cities oldest buildings and also some good restaurants and bars. The downside to Gastown is that it is quite touristy and it borders of Vancouver's worst neighborhood the Downtown Eastside, so I would recommend not staying to close to there. Vancouver's Chinatown is North Americas largest after San Francisco, it is located north of Gastown (you can get there on Skytrain), and is very cool. When exploring Chinatown and Gastown you will likely pass through the downtown eastside, but don't worry its not a dangerous area just be aware of your valuables and maybe don't park your car there; in fact I would suggest exploring all of downtown on foot because you will see more of the city that way and most sights are quite close together.