View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2005, 7:22 AM

I guess I'll start with Oklahoma City, they seem to have a fair amount of new projects either U/C or proposed.

OKLAHOMA CITY

-The tallest of the current projects, the full renovation of the 21 story Citizens Tower in midtown (just north of downtown) into upscale condos called The Classen. The building is completed and they are currently selling condos.

It is rumored that the developer of The Classen, Gardner/Tanenbaum, is looking to buy the old downtown library (a new modern one was just built) and tear it down to build a high rise residential tower. It would be big news in OKC because there are only a handful of residential high rises.

-A massive project, the $100+ million Native American Museum and Cultural Center (will be the largest Native American museum in the world) should begin construction next year by the Oklahoma River southeast of downtown, completed by 2008.

The museum, done by the same architects that did the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, will have large exhibit halls, a research center, well landscaped grounds along the river (with future riverboat access to downtown) and a hotel/tribal conference center.

-The Montgomery, "adaptive re-use" recently completed and selling units near the new art museum and library in west downtown.

-I-40 re-location south of downtown, beginning next year and completed by 2009. The existing I-40 will be torn down and a new landscaped boulevard into downtown/Bricktown will be created in its place.

-$250 million proposed urban development for the new "Riverside District" south of Bricktown by TAP Architecture. Lots of mixed-use development with an emphasis on residential.

-The Factory, a proposed 12 story apartment building in Bricktown by TAP.

-5 story urban housing, Legacy Summit will be located in the arts district of west downtown. Construction should begin next year.

-The Lincoln Ave. Renaissance, the blvd. leading up to the state capitol complex east of downtown, proposal also by TAP.

-New Boldt Construction HQ along Lake Hefner Parkway in northwest OKC...the building is LEED-certified. Under construction.

-10 story Embassy Suites hotel in Bricktown across the canal from the new Harkins cinema and in between Sonic HQ, Bricktown Ballpark, and Bass Pro Shops. Construction should begin sometime next year, no rendering...sorry.

-Oklahoma History Center, a $70 million state history museum under construction near the state capitol.

OKC Underground, the renovation and expansion of downtown's tunnel system into urban art galleries.

The old 15 story Skirvin Hotel is currently being renovated into a Hilton and will be downtown's finest hotel once completed in 2006.

The Triangle District, an ambitious mixed-use urban revitalization proposal for north of downtown creating a "triangle" between downtown, midtown, and the Oklahoma Health Center/research park and state capitol. OKC's version of Atlanta's Atlantic Station or Dallas' Victory...