View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:42 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

It's not really correct to say Denver is debating it... Broomfield (the municipality on the northern end that's pushing it) was about 10 seconds from starting construction. But there was a land swap with the Feds that needed to happen for it to start. That happened, and now Golden (and a few others) have sued.

On what Glowrock said: the interesting thing is, with the planned alignment, it really won't serve Boulder at all, it's too far east. Nobody from Boulder will use it, that traffic will stay on 93.

My concern is about the finances. It won't be a full freeway the entire way, that's not the plan. Parts of it will be fast 4-lane arterial, basically, including the part that would slice right though Golden. I question their toll revenue projections.

When we built the Northwest Parkway (the existing piece of the northwest corner, connecting Boulder to the Airport), a lot of thought went into preserving open space, land use planning, and generally ensuring it wouldn't become a sprawl machine. And that worked. The problem was, without the development, traffic on the road has been absurdly below projections and the bond holders lost their butts. Now they're thinking, if they finish it, that'll help. But I worry they are doubling down, and they're doing it on a segment with even lower traffic potential. I'm not really opposed to the road, but I am opposed to relying on new development to generate traffic to pay for it, which looks like the likely outcome.