View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:30 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
This isn't about knowing population stats, though. If the woman being interviewed would have said that Canada's population was 20 million or even 10 million, then I think the interviewers (I wasn't involved) would have probably let it go. But when she said "50,000" it just revealed that she lacked even the most basic critical thinking skills.

If you're like me, you probably don't know anything about the fashion industry or textiles, but if you asked me to estimate the total length of all the tiny threads that are woven together to make my shirt and I said "three feet", I wouldn't blame you if you didn't hire me.
Yeah fair enough, that's a good point. I'm not saying the 50,000 thing is excusable, it's not, just that sometimes people on here can be a little unfair with people's more modest mistaken population estimates, or not recognizing skylines or other things like that. I can't place more than a handful of US skylines, or name more than a few Mexican states and I'm into this stuff. I don't think that's a big deal.