Thread: Light Rail Boom
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 11:06 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfastx View Post
I agree. I think that light rail is not the best way to go, especially in inner cities. The best way to transport people in large cities is heavy rail/subway. However, thay aren't as cheap as light rail (hey, you get what you pay for), so I think the days of building subways (at least in the US) are over.
Same here in Toronto. We have a drastically under built subway system. Madrid, a city approximately our size, has about 8 times more subway than we do. Many Torontonians want a much bigger subway system, but the tax dollars get funneled to other things like roads instead. Roads still come first here.

What's left for public transit is pocket change. Our only option is LRT. We either build lots of LRT or congestion will bring Toronto to a grinding halt in the not too distant future. We're literally in panic mode trying to avert a transportation catastrophe here. 20 years of neglect has backed us into a corner.

I've already given up on public transit in the spring/summer. I can't get into the downtown easily and I live close to the core. It's far quicker to use a bicycle. Even roller blading gets me there quicker most times of the day.