View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 4:26 AM

I live in Guildford and I find it quite walkable, moreso than, say, the Metrotown area. Within a 5 minute walk, I can do my groceries (SuperWalmart and T&T and HMart), get coffee (Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Moka House), go to the library, go to restaurants, watch a movie, and get bread (Cobbs) or produce (Kin's and another produce store), liquor (Guildford Station) and nightlife (Mirage). Granted, Guildford lacks uniqueness (everything is a chain except for the small Asian businesses) and it's not pretty (although the parks are nice). And it's not a leisurely walk. I don't "stroll" along 152nd Street the way I stroll along Robson Street or Davie Street or Commercial Drive or 4th Avenue.

But it is walkable.

I also prefer their bus loop over any other bus loops in the Lower Mainland. It's under cover so good when it's raining or hot, next to the mall, it doesn't have the same criminal element as Whalley or Newton, and it's easy to get to (how long a walk is it to the Metrotown bus loop when the mall is closed and you live along Kingsway? or who lives anywhere near the Coquitlam Centre bus loop?).

But although I am sure Surrey NIMBYS will prop up and be noticed, we should acknowledge and appreciate the fact that there is at least some semblance of widespread support amongst Surrey residents for improved transit. I am planning a trip to Seattle and Pheonix later this year and I always read about big suburbs opposing any attempts to extend their region's light rail systems to their area. That is not occurring in Surrey and the rest of the Fraser Valley region. That is an encouraging sign.

Last edited by memememe76; Mar 15, 2012 at 5:39 AM.