View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:59 PM

So much office momentum at 38th and Blake. And yet, from a transit standpoint, it’s a bit of a pain to get to compared to the CBD/Lodo since it requires a transfer for most of the metro (unless you live in Stapleton or GVR) that comes at best once every 15 minutes. In 5-8 years, I'll be real curious on what the transit mode share is for workers in this area. If I worked there, I'd probably want to live in one of the residential areas in the Five Points, North City Park, Park Hill corridor. I feel this part of Denver is going to go into gentrification overdrive, which will be painful for some because it is so underzoned.

I’m not sure how I feel about opportunity zones. I know there was some good intent behind the idea, but I wonder how history will judge it in 15-20 years. Is this yet another top-down government intervention in the market for urban land use which will have unintended repercussions for generations? Is it healthy for state governments to choose which neighborhoods are “winners and losers” with arbitrary lines on a map? Will these schemes unnaturally accelerate displacement in vulnerable neighborhoods? If Denver is any indication, will OZ's have a decentralizing effect on employment centers?