View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 1:53 PM
SSC Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
You're making a whole lot of assumptions there based on nothing but your own prejudice. What do you really know about people being "allowed" to use a public train system in North Korea or not? Have you been there yourself checking it out? What do you really know about North Korea at all?
I've not been there yet, but I'm going to go there, so I've been reading about the trips people have had there and it sounds like it is really repressive and generally not a nice place to live. There was also an undercover documentary on the TV quite a while back that I saw.
Also, I use my common sence. The place is not far from bankruptcy, so why would anybody have cars (especially in this period of oil prices topping £65 a barrel and the prices at the pumps going sky high)? When I say "allowed" (which was sarcasm, by the way), I mean economically as well as politically.
Looking at other communist regimes and the sort of things the people were banned from buying in those nations (people were not allowed to buy mobiles or PCs in Cuba, for example, until Fidel gave up power) its a fairly safe bet to say that North Korea's regime is at least as bad.

I dont have any predjudices about any nations (unlike the American media and the British tabloids, whom I ignore) and I generally like to find things out for myself.