View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 6:15 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I don't mean to cause trouble, but I hope you're not talking about Los Angeles; because if you are, .....
Combine the high-rise booms of both the L.A. Downtown Rundown and L.A. Metro thread, and you will conclude that we are ahead.

Anyways, I suppose Denver reminds me of Mammoth Lakes(which is also booming with high-end resorts). Maybe the Winter Olympics aren't to far off.
That is not what I mean at all. I couldn't care less about how many towers go up. All I mean is that Denver is set to double its population by 2030 (to close to 5 million). That's only 22 years away, really not that far off in the long run. And if it continues exponentially as most sunbelt cities do, then how long will it take beautiful, scenic Denver to turn into a cesspool like LA? It is not environmentally sustainable growth. I know this is a skyscraper forum, and we're all here because we all share a love or at least a fascination with them. But the argument that I am making is about people who are crazy pro growth.

Some will say, "well it's only 2% growth annually". That is an incredible rate of growth. 2% of 100 is only 2. But 2% of 1 million is 20,000. 2% of 5 million is 100,000. Every year. Do the math on what the next century will look like for Denver.

I know that no one has any control over this, and I am by no means saying that I can predict the growth will remain the same throughout the century, but I was making the comparison to LA because it took nearly no time at all before it became an enormous, unmanageable, unhealthy, unsafe, environmentally disastrous scar on the face of this earth.

My end argument is that although I am glad that a lot of this growth is in fill, soon you will be facing the problems of larger cities. I hope that Denver has the progressive thinking that I think it does, and will be a leader in the 21st, a model for other cities to follow in terms of sustainability.

It's easy to get anxious about change and growth, especially coming from a city that often gets ignored in the face of the New Yorks, and the San Frans (believe me, I'm from Michigan), but let's not lose sight here.