View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Wizened, my apology for ruffling your feathers a little. Do you not think the DIA South Terminal expansion is well designed for it's budget constraints? DIA did want to spend $650 million on this project, but the airlines fought hard to get the budget scaled back to $500 million. I almost like it better, than the pure Calatrava version. An extra $150 million, for Calatrava signature features, doesn't seem cost effective to me.

How would you have liked the DIA South Terminal expansion design, to have turned out?
Taking the terminal only, I do like what is being done.

Of course, the rail interface should be (have been) better thought out, with more opportunity for future access from the north. This could have been provided by a rail line connecting the BNSF line to the north with UP line along I-70 to the south, which would enable trains to access the terminal (and associated businesses) via conventional freight line. In addition, rather than a stub terminal (why do Denverites build so many of these horribly inefficient things?) the station should have been built as one side of a continuous loop, which would have permitted approaches from other direcitons to be made easily in the future and, made the rail station far more efficient (handle a far larger number of trains).

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf