View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
If the last 40 years have shown us anything it's that a cultural institution that was a very big deal can slip completely off the radar in 2 generations. That's precisely what happened to football in Toronto.

Admittedly Toronto is an extreme case and not representative of Canada but it does show how fragile culture can be. Immigrants are heading to cities beyond the Big 3 (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) in ever increasing numbers and cultural preferences are shifting. Sporting interests amongst millennials/Generation Z is very different than that of Bommers/Generation X.

We should expect what's playing out in Toronto to be repeated in cities and towns nationally to varying degrees. It may seem implausible today but I can see a time when hockey isn't #1 nationally. By 2050 (only 31 years away) I can see it dropping to 3rd behind the NBA and MLS.
Bold prediction, considering there is only 1 NBA team in Canada, that gets mediocre tv viewership at best, which the majority likely come from the Toronto region. I think it’s more realistic to consider the NBA to continue to be behind 1) NHL 2) CFL 3) MLB 4) MLS.

I can see MLS taking off, as they are already rooted in Van TO and Mtl. However currently the interesting that league is abysmal currently considering the tv viewership, which like the Raptors, get the majority of viewers from their respective region.

My opinion of course!