Thread: Gage Park
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:46 AM
On Guard For Thee

Another excellent (and well-thought) response RePinion. I actually dislike re-reading my own posts because I'm overly critical of them--I write as I think--in a strictly linear fashion--so my posts sound like I'm sitting in a bar somewhere with a cheek full of Beech Nut. I couldn't agree more on the "agenda" point--and believe me taking any sort of "opposing" point is treacherous. Though I personally prefer the suburban lifestyle--I too dislike anything that's egregiously one-sided or dominated by group-think. I love the core--I just don't want to go to sleep there.

Either way, in response to neighborhoods "turning around"--that's an interesting question. I suppose it depends on the definition--the Bayfront Park/Pier IV area has certainly "changed"--that is it has slowly evolved from a strictly working class neighborhood--to one which is becoming increasingly filled with new builds and renos that are of an entirely different scale than what existed previously. As far as areas that have gone into a steep decline--I'm not sure I've seen any go 180 degrees to thriving. As commercial sectors go, Barton is still the big fall. The residential neighborhoods that have declined in the lower city are another issue--off the top of my head I can't think of many/any that have "recovered"...keeping in mind much of the residential in the extreme north end industrial areas has simply disappeared.