View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I live in Fairview Slopes, which is the best area for me, personally, although I don't live in the nicest part of that area.

I like how it's within walking distance of Granville Island and a slew of urban format big box stores near Cambie and Broadway. I'm also within walking distance of the Canada Line skytrain station, 99 B-line stops, the Seawall, and I appreciate the interesting townhome and mid-rise architecture of West 7th avenue between Hemlock and Cambie. I also like how it's close, but psychologically separated, from downtown.

On the other hand, my area has some very dull retail and the stretch of Broadway near my house belongs in the Ugly Canada thread.
I lived there a few years ago. I think it's a great spot and I'd live there again, but it is more practical than "sexy" as far as neighbourhoods go. I've also lived in a prettier part of Kitsilano. It looked a lot nicer, the place I lived in was nicer, and there was a beach nearby, but it was less convenient.

Vancouver unfortunately does not have a lot of good medium density (let's say lowrise apartments or rowhouse) character neighbourhoods. The stuff around Granville Island and Oak Street below Broadway has a moderate population density but most of the developments have large footprints, are plain looking, and have a pretty limited mix of uses. It's pleasant but never seemed like a very urban neighbourhood to me.