View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:51 PM

I'm sure I'm being stupid here thinking that the voice of the people can make a difference, and I'm sure I'll get some flak for this, but after being away from SSP for a while I came back to this development and was horrified. So much so, that I took it upon myself to contact The Durst Organization. I encourage each and every one of you to do the same. Yes, I know the decision has already been arrived at, and yes, I know big greedy corporations don't care about a lowly citizen like myself, but at least they can build this new hideous antenna with the knowledge that those with an ounce of taste think it's a terrible shadow of what could have been.

This is what I wrote to them. Hopefully it makes it past whoever checks their emails.

"To Mr. Douglas Durst and Co.,

I have followed with enthusiasm the design, construction, and at long last the near-completion of the new One World Trade Center. I am an avid reader and participant in various architecture and cultural websites and forums, and design in general is both a professional study and a hobby of mine.

I speak strongly for both myself and an overwhelming majority of those who have followed with extraordinary patience the slow construction of this new One World Trade Center tower when I say that the recent decision made by your organization, and for unknown reasons agreed with by the Port Authority, constitutes a delusion of the architectural beauty and iconic status of this new tower.

The renders of the replacement antenna, lacking any architectural elements or appointments that could ever lend it the name "spire", is, to be frank, a ghastly relic that would look more appropriate on a decommissioned Soviet-era monstrosity rather than a symbol of America's revival following the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Let me reiterate; I know from both having seen countless agreements, as well as the general attitude of America, that if you remove this spire, you will have turned what could have been America's great new architectural achievement of the 21st century into just another office building. Please, please reconsider the removal of the spire not only for the integrity and reputation of your own organization, but for the city of New York and the people of America."