View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 4:51 AM

Nice try, but what about the other streets in metro Vancouver that have deteriorated much more than Prior street since the old days without any viaducts within miles of them? Why dont you use pics of the west end of the ducts where the international village is now growing by leaps and bounds and the stadiums on game night when there are thousands of people in the area or of the skate park packed in a true urban environment?

It is not the ducts, it is the lack of of initiative from the city. Also, maybe there is a reason why that area has the least amount of traffic in the downtown core (because traffic actually flows there without a problem because of adequate infrastructure?)

I think we have shown more than a few good examples of how viaducts can be incorporated into the urban landscape without taking them down.

I guess we should take down the skytrain guideways as well since the land below it will also always be a ghost town and underutilized?

Also someone pointed out the great point of when the new St. Paul's is built the Georgia duct will essentially land at its base, perfect for ambulances rushing from downtown.

I also love how the anti-road people change their tune, in some cases they blame traffic and cars for destroying a street, then when the traffic is removed they claim the removal of the traffic as the destroying factor. With the ducts there, we can build the streetcar without having to worry about dirupting vehicle traffic or adding another rail/road crossing. Also, talk about a perfect spot for a OMC! Cheep land right near downtown in the middle of a new street car network. Think about the layers, road viaducts, ground level roads, skytrain and a tram all sharing the same place due to variety!

But no, we want more overpriced bland Yaletown for the ultra rich while chocking off business from the core!